Here are the specs. Person out of a job for almost ten months. Executive status. 40 something. Video Game/New Media guy. Economy is crappy. Let’s get him a job.
I had to use my know how and everything that I know about social media to help him out, he is my brother after all. So hopefully we can work this into his favor.
- Buy a domain name that is classy, but not too serious, but also exudes some kind of relevance. I passed on GetMeAJobPlease.com and also LoserOlderBrotherNeedsJob.com and decided that it would be best to just get his name as the domain name. http://www.joemcguffin.com.
- Now the idea of what to put on his site had to be etched out. I did some research online and found this article.
- Got a decent theme installed and edited it. Had to choose something that was not too overbearing. Luckily my brother has a picture of him that does not make him look too odd, did some standard photoshop tricks and put it online. I am sure that he will edit it to make it more likable to him, but for now, it is what it is. Added the standard package of plug-ins.
- Introduce the older brother to twitter. Will give him a crash course on how to utilize it to market himself.
- Thanksgiving will be the day that I give him his crash course. I think with a combination of him doing some work “writing articles on his blog“, publishing to twitter, and also doing some work on facebook it should make things easier for him.
Now, he must also go the traditional route and send out his resume and follow up and do all the good things that he needs to do, but in this age of social media, when a potential employer does a search for his name, he can sort of control what they see. I have always been of the mindset that being searchable is always better than not being searchable.
Now hopefully if he markets himself properly he can start showing people that he is more than just an out of work 40something executive.